How to Export Payroll Checks From Payroll Mate Payroll Software to Quicken
Payroll Mate payroll software allows users to export payroll checks into a QIF file which can later be imported into Quicken or any other accounting software that offers QIF file import functionality. This feature is useful for Quicken users who would like to track payroll checks inside Quicken. This feature is also useful for the discontinued Quickpayroll users, who recently moved to Payroll Mate.
The process of exporting payroll checks from Payroll Mate to Quicken involves three main steps:
1- The first step is to generate the QIF file in Payroll Mate by running the “Export Payroll to Quicken QIF” report.
2- The second step is to create an account in Quicken.
3- The third step is to import the QIF file exported from Payroll Mate into the account created in Quicken.
Step One: Generating a QIF file inside Payroll Mate
(1) Inside Payroll Mate: Open the “Export Payroll to Quicken QIF” report by clicking on the menu item:
Tools > Export Payroll Data to > Quicken QIF. See Figure 1 below:
Figure 1 (“Export Payroll to Quicken QIF” report)
(2) Inside the “Export Payroll to Quicken QIF” report, click on “Export Options” button. See Figure 2 below:
Figure 2 (“Export Options” button)
(3) Select the desired options inside the “Export Options” dialog. Start by selecting the range of pay dates for the checks to be included in the export. Then select the list of employees to be included in the export. For “Quicken Category”, just click on the “Default” button to use the default value. When you are done with your selections, click “OK” . See Figure 3 below:
Figure 3 (Select the desired options inside the “Export Options” dialog)
(4) Click on “Export” button inside the “Export Payroll to Quicken QIF” report. In the dialog that comes up select the path of the QIF resulting file and then hit “Save” . This will cause Payroll Mate to create a QIF with the name and path you selected. It’s always a good idea to select the Desktop as the path for the output file, so you can easily locate later on . See Figure 4 below:
Figure 4 (Click the Export Button Inside the “Export Payroll to Quicken QIF” report.)
Step Two: Creating a New Account inside Quicken
You only need to do this step the first time you export to Quicken.
(1) Start Quicken.
(2) On the File menu, point to File, and then click New.
(3) You will be prompted with a selection window, select “New Quicken Account” and click OK. This will start the “Quicken Account Setup” wizard. See Figure 5 below:
Figure 5 (select “New Quicken Account”)
(4) If the wizard starts by asking you “What is the financial institution for this account?”, then select the option: “This account is not held at a financial institution” and click “Next”
(5) When the wizard asks you to “Choose the type of account to add”, choose “Cash” from under the “Cash Flow” category, and click “Next”. See Figure 6 below:
Figure 6 (Choose Cash as the type of account)
(6) Next type in a name for the new account when the wizard asks you to “Name this account”.
(7) Click Next, and follow the on-screen instructions. When you are done with the wizard click the “Done” button.
Step Three: Importing QIF file into the Quicken Account
(1) Start Quicken.
(2) Choose File menu > Import > QIF file. You will be prompted with the “QIF Import” window.
(3) Start by selecting the path of the QIF file that you have created using Payroll Mate. You can either type in the file path or click on “Browse” button to locate the file.
(4) Next select the account you want to import the checks into, the account that you have created in the previous step of this tutorial should be listed under: “Quicken account to import into”
(5) Finally click on “Next” and you will be done importing your checks from Payroll Mate into Quicken through a QIF file.
Figure 7 (Importing QIF file into the Quicken Account)