Here are the Top 10 things about IRS Form 1095-C that every employer should know:
1) If you are an employer with 50 or more full-time employees in the preceding calendar year you must use Affordable Care Act Form 1095-C to report your employees’ offers of health coverage and enrollment in health coverage.
2) If you are an employer and you provide self-insured health coverage to your employees, you must send Form 1095-C (to your employees and the IRS) regardless of the number of your full-time employees.
3) You must send 2015 forms 1095-C to your employees no later than February, 1st 2016. The easiest way to process 1095-C forms is by using ACA 1095 Filing Software either desktop-based or online.
4) You can send form 1095-C to an employee in electronic format (such as a PDF document) instead of paper as long as you have the employee’s consent and the electronic format matches the specs of the paper copy (complies with IRS Publication 5223).
5) You must send 2015 forms 1095-C to the IRS no later than February, 29 2016 if you are filing on paper and no later than March, 31, 2016 if you are filing electronically.
6) If you are filing 250 forms 1095-C or more, you have to file electronically with the IRS.
7) The IRS will not impose penalties for incorrect or incomplete fields on the 2015 1095-C forms if you can show you have made a good faith effort to comply with the ACA filing requirements.
8) If your is business is located in “Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia” you mail the IRS copy of form 1095-C to “Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Center Austin, TX 73301”. And If your is business is located in “Alaska, California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming” you have to mail the form to “Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Center Kansas City, MO 64999”.
9) You may mask the employee’s or covered individual’s social security number (SSN) on Form 1095-C you send to the employee (NOT the IRS) by showing only the last four digits of the SSN and replacing the first five digits with asterisks (*) or Xs.
10) If you submit 1095-Cs to the IRS electronically you have to create your submissions in XML format and comply with IRS Publication 5165.
Our 1095 Mate software gives employers everything they need to process 1095-C and 1094-C forms in-house at an affordable price and with minimum effort.